Saturday, March 8, 2008

How Do You Pray for Someone Who is Terminally Ill?

I have a long time friend and church member who has had throat Cancer for quite some time. Six months ago, his doctor gave him six months to live and today I found out that he is in his last stages of this disease. He and his wife are both devout Christians -- simply beautiful people. My heart has been heavy for them. Today I visited their home and had a lengthy conversation with his wife. After our conversation, I took her hand in prayer. I kind of stumbled through the prayer for I had no idea how to address this situation to God. I know that nothing is impossible with God; that if you have great faith (I mean as Jesus walked on water because of his strong faith). How can you pray for someone you know is dying and yet you ask the Lord for healing? Yet I know how much he is in pain and suffering. I don't want to pray for death for anyone even though I know that there would be no more suffering. When seeking the Lord for healing,you have to really know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God will heal.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Sometimes the very best thing to do is ask the Lord to do what is best. You're not praying for death OR for a miracle, you are praying for God to only do what He feels is right.

Often times we think we know best, but actually, the Lord really DOES know what to do.

Just ask the Lord for strength, encouragement, and support.

I'll keep you AND your friends in my prayers. *HUGS*

Rose said...

Wow this is a good question. I would just ask God to do His will.